Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Buying foundation for the first time?

Resolved Question

Buying foundation for the first time?

I'm 15 and more or less a make up virgin. I want to find a decent foundation, I have quite pink skin and flush easily if that matters, has anyone got any advice at all? Any brands I should check out? And how much should I expect to pay?

Additional Details

A lot of people are asking what 'type' of skin I have. I'm not completely sure but I think oily. I hope that helps. : )

18 hours ago

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

The new dream creamy foundation by Maybelline works a treat, It's not as oily or as dry as many foundations you may come across and the coverage is medium so it's pretty much worth the money ( around £6.99 )

But instead of foundation you may just want to get a good concealor instead such as Max factor Pan stick, which is a 2 in 1 stick perfect for flaws. ( about £5 )

If you have pink skin you may want to find a yellow based foundation to tone down the pinkness. Bare minerals are suppossed to do good ones but they are pricey bare in mind.

It is always worth splashing out on a good foundation because ones that don't work for your skin can look very off and cakey.

Make sure you wear a good base or primer underneath to set your foundation well. ( No7 shine free base ) is excellent for oily types of skin.

If you suffer from bad skin be sure to wash your face well twice a day and use a good spot cream at night.

It would be worth you adapt to a good skin care regime now you are starting to wear foundation. :)

Source(s):

There are currently no comments for this question.

Other Answers (12)

  • Don't do it. When I was your age I didn't use any make up (still don't much) and my friend used foundation, as we got older I stayed looking young and my skin was in great condition, hers was awful and she had to use foundation all the time in the end. So I say, don't do it, and if you must, make sure you get a light one, only use it occasionally and make sure you remove it every night.

    Source(s):

  • I wouldn't suggest you use any drug-store brand foundation...they're all full of chemicals, bad oils, and preservatives, and are therfore horrible for your skin and can cause unsightly acne, despite what they may say on the packaging. I would suggest brands like Stila and Korres which use natural ingredients. You can get them at Sephora or online for around $35, although I would go in person if I were you so that you can match your skin exactly. The foundation I use, which I like, is Make Up Forever HD, but that's $50 and I doubt you're looking to spend that much. When you buy a foundation, don't try to match it with the color of your face but rather with the color of your neck. You shouldn't get anything with pink undertones...you should buy a foundation that looks a little yellow so it can counter-act the redness of your face and help to make it look less like you're wearing a mask and more like you just have naturally beautiful skin.
    Also, ignore the woman who posted below me. I doubt the sole reason of her friend's bad skin is her use of foundation. And if by some stretch of the imagination it IS the cause, then her friend was clearly using a horrible, cheap foundation.
  • It all depends on what you want to do with your skin. I have a pinkish color to my face too and I flush easily. What I do is get a green tinted primer as well; it will calm down the redness in your face.
    I personally like medium coverage and I use the Dior foundation. It's super pricey, so I would say use the MAC Studio Fix. I recommend liquid over powder because powder tends to look really cakey on someone's face, especially if you are dry like me. MAC Studio Fix foundations are usually about 25 dollars and if you pay an additional 5 bucks, you can get a pump which makes the product last a lot longer. It has a yellower undertone, so it won't make you look red. Personally, I would steer clear of Clinique foundations because they all have a red undertone and it makes me look pink. It might work for you, but for me, I don't like it.
    If you MUST get one from a drug store, at least go to sephora, get yourself matched, take home a sample that you can ask for and bring it to the drug store. That way you can find a color that resembles your sample.
  • Well, what type of skin do you have? Dry? Oily? Combination?
    If you have dry:
    Try to find a foundation closest to your skin color and make sure to use a good moisturizer before applying your foundation.
    Oily:
    Use any kind of foundation you like but make sure on the bottle it says, "Oil-Free" because too much oily will make your face too greasy and you'll probably break out.
    Combination:
    If you have combination skin, you'll have to find a foundation that makes your skin the perfect balance. So it would moisturize dry areas, and take shine out of oily areas. I have this skin, and I use Almay's Smart Balance liquid foundation. It's perfect.


    Just experiment with different foundations, and I'm sure you'll find one you like.
    Try brands like:
    Cover Girl
    Maybelline
    Almay
    Revlon
    L'oreal
    etc etc.


    Most foundations are from $5-$15 at drugstores.
  • For clinique you would be the shade 01 Petal. Also, everyone is always happy with MAC foundations too, but honestly it depends on whether you have dry or oily skin. For those brands I'd expect to pay around 30 dollars but the foundations can last up to a year.
    For drugstore, I like covergirl foundation. But I have heard great things about Revlon Color Stay. But if you go to MAC or sephora, clinique, etc they will match your shade perfectly unlike in a drugstore.
    But honestly once you start wearing foundation its hard to stop because you think you NEED the coverage but you really don't. I suggest just a powder and bronzer to give you a nice finish.
  • the most important thing is to get the right colour foundation for your skin, people always make the mistake of getting the wrong colour and look orange or really pale.

    If you don't have much money there are lots of great foundations around, I would recommend the Revlon Colourstay range, they stay on all day and look natural but have good coverage. Also I love most of Rimmels foundations.

    However if you're willing to spend a bit more money to get the best foundation, I would recommend this because as the rule goes, the better brands are worth the money, so you pay more but you definately can see how much better they are. My favourite foundations are from MAC. They are so amazing, the makeup artists in the store will match you up for your perfect colour, so it will look so natural and they glide on and look so flawless! Also Clinique foundations are really good.

    I know your just starting out with makeup, and when I was like you, I would watch makeup gurus on youtube such as, juicystar07, bubzbeauty, michellephan, allthatglitters21, makeupbytiffanyd, and get ideas from them, then just test out different foundations until I found my perfect one, which for me is the MAC ones!

    Hope I helped!
  • Everyone has different skin types so you don't have to necessarily stick with the first foundation you buy. Go to a make-up counter in places such as Debenhams (in the UK) or other large department stores. Here, they have assistants to help you to choose the right make-up for your skin type and tone.
    Often, it is worth investing in a more expensive brand. However, personally, I find the that the key to good make-up is to cleanse, tone and moisturise every morning and evening. Don't be sparse with the moisturiser, it tightens your skin, to give a more even coverage.
    Good luck! x
  • Rimmel recover foundation is really great. It brightens the skin i've been using it since i first started wearing make-up when i was abround 12/13 years old.

    Different people like different kinds of foundations. Liquids, mousse, powder.

    Because your skin is fair dont go for a really dark colour. It will look really bad and orange.
  • I would try Revlon Color Stay Foundation. They have a wide variety of colors.
    make sure its a little darker than your skin is, and that you can see a bit pink of it in the bottle.

    It's sorta hard to answer this question if you don't tell us your skin type, or how much coverage you need.
  • well if you have dry skin i wouldn't advise you to get dream up matte moose because this is a very dry foundation,
    i think you should expect to pay around a £5 and go into boots and try out the testers to see which one suits you.
  • estee lauder is really good,double wear!

    check my blog if you can http://missgreeneyes1987.blogspot.com/
  • Mac studio tech is GREAT !!!! it has good coverage and lasts all day :)
    xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

Makeup Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template